GrassRoots Festival of Music & Dance

Frequently Asked Questions



What do I do if I lost something?

For lost and found items during the festival, go to security headquarters on the right side of the large blue barn, next to the Merch & CD Barn, up the hill from the food vendors. If you are looking for something after the festival, all lost and found items have been taken to the Tompkins County Sheriff’s Department, 607-257-1345.


NO TICKETS ARE BEING MAILED. When you ordered your ticket, a confirmation email was sent to the email address you entered. This confirms your order. You can either print your ticket to be scanned at the gate, or better yet, if you have one of them fancy smart phones, we can scan it from there. This is a great way to save paper, and you don't have to keep track of your paper ticket. We also are able to look up your order if you for whatever reason were unable to print it and can't access it from your phone. 

what is the refund policy?

All ticket sales are final. We are sorry, but we are not able to provide refunds.

Can I sell my ticket?

Stuff happens. The resale of GrassRoots Festival tickets is allowed if you are unable to attend.

what are the box office hours?

Plan your arrival. In order to get your wristband, only arrive at times when the ticket windows are open. Once you get your wristband you can come and go at any time.

Thursday: 8:30am – Midnight
Friday: 8:30am – Midnight
Saturday: 8:30am – Midnight
Sunday: 9am – 7pm


The front gate (main gate) opens at noon on Thursday. The back gate (vehicle camper gate) opens at noon to vehicles only. Pedestrians may not enter the back gate until after 3pm on Thursday. Pedestrians must use the front gate. Our Across the Way area opens early. Check the camping page for details.

Is there re-entry to the festival? Do gates close?

Of course! The gates are open from the beginning of the festival 'til the end. You may come and go as you please. Do not remove your wristband. You must have your wristband on to get back into the festival.

Which gate do I go to?

If you are camping, please visit the Camping page on our website to find out what gate to enter in through upon arrival. If you are not camping, please enter through the main front gate located on Rt 96.

is there handicap parking?

Yes. But please note that space on the festival site is extremely limited, and though we actively follow and exceed New York State guidelines for the number of handicapped spaces to provide for a festival of our size, we cannot guarantee an on-site handicapped parking space for anyone. These spaces are first-come, first-serve.

  • We strongly encourage you to park your car at the Across the Way parking area (there will be spaces reserved at the front of the lot) and ride the shuttle to the front or back gate. There is an accessible shuttle during peak hours on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday when on-site handicap parking is likely to be full.

  • If you need to have your car near you and you are planning to stay for the whole weekend, and sleeping over: you'll need to purchase onsite vehicle camping. You must purchase this in advance.

  • If you need to have your car close to you for medical reasons (i.e. oxygen tank), come to the front gate and explain to the volunteer who greets your car that you need to be near your car and they will show you where to park inside the front gate. However, there is extremely limited space here and can fill up.

  • If you are not able to park at Across The Way because it is outside of shuttle hours, but don't necessarily need your car near you, come to the back gate and the volunteer who greets your car will show you a parking space near the back gate. You are more likely to find an available handicapped parking space entering the back gate than the front.

GADABOUT Transportation Services will be providing a FREE shuttle service from Across the Way on Falls Road to the Festival Site during peak hours Thursday, Friday, and Saturday hours for those with accessibility needs.

is there an atm at the festival?

There is, indeed! It is located near the entrance of the General Store inside the festival (where the CDs and Tshirts are sold).

Are food and beverages sold at the festival?

There is a very diverse and plentiful array of food vendors on-site, and all of them have a variety of thirst-quenchers. There are also three beer & wine gardens throughout the festival. If you're 21 or over, it's a great place to relax and have a drink!

Can i take public transportation to the festival?

Yes! Our local bus service drops off at the Fairgrounds where the festival is held. TCAT Bus Schedule can be found here and they add additional rides on Saturday & Sunday of the festival so check the schedule close to the event for updated rides. Route 21 is the bus you want from Ithaca to the festival.

Finger Lakes Rideshare is also a great resource for ridesharing in the Finger Lakes area!

Are there grocery stores near the festival?

Yes! There is a general grocery store (Tburg ShurSave) directly across the street from the festival, as well as a small natural foods grocery & deli (Trumansburg Main Street Market) a mile down the road. There is a pharmacy (Kinney Drugs) next to the fairgrounds which carries convenience items, and there is also a service station (Byrne Dairy) right beside the festival site.

Can I bring my own cooler with food & drink?

Yes! You can bring your cooler onto either the Festival Site or the Across the Way area. Coolers are checked at the main festival gate as a safety precaution. Please, remember we ask that you do not bring bottled beer, cans only.

Can I have glass bottles at the festival?

No glass bottles are allowed anywhere inside the fairgrounds and coolers will be searched at the gate. Barefoot children are often the victims of broken glass cuts, so let's all try to keep the festival clean and safe for everyone. Also, please put all beverages in a cup or koozie, and don't forget to recycle!!

what is the pet policy?

Please, no pets! No dogs or pets of any kind allowed anywhere On-site or Across the Way... as much for the dogs' sake as the people's. Size of the dog doesn't matter. No pet or emotional support dogs. Only service dogs. Please respect this policy. Local kennels: The Lucky Dog Inn (607) 272-3708; Bed and Biscuit (607) 277-2126.

Will camping sell out?

On-site camping is sold in advance of the festival and does sell out. Check the Camping page on our website to see the status of available camping.

Are there hotels in Trumansburg?

While Trumansburg is the home of many beautiful Bed and Breakfasts, there are no hotels. The closest hotels are in Ithaca (10 miles South of Trumansburg) - make reservations early!

What sort of facilities does the festival have?

All camping is primitive. There are no electric or water hookups. There are rustic showers both On-site and Across the Way. There are portable toilets both On-site and Across the Way. There are drinking water spigots throughout both areas as well.

How is cell service? will i be able to CHARGE MY PHONE?

Your cell phone should work just fine at the festival. And, yes! With the support of Renovus Solar, we offer a solar-powered charging station for cell phones and other gadgetry. You can find it on the track between the Grandstand Stage and the Infield Stage.

Can I take photographs or video at the festival?

Amateur photography is always welcome, and if you happen to get any great snapshots, we'd love to have you send us a copy! Videotaping your family and friends is also okay. However, any videotaping of bands must be strictly for home or personal use and may NOT be sold or broadcast for any reason without the explicit permission of both the festival and the artist. Audio-taping is allowed by the festival, but permission needs to be maintained by each individual band. Sound board patches may not be made available at all shows. A soundboard patch is available at the discretion of the GrassRoots staff and the performing artist. Plan on providing your own power. Come prepared.

I have an urgent question or concern. Who do I call?

Before the festival begins, you may call the main office at (607) 387-5098. However, during the festival, the office is CLOSED. There is no phone number to call on the festival site. All issues must be dealt with at the front gate (box office window) when you arrive, or they must wait until after the festival. If you have a ticket issue, most likely it can be dealt with at the gate. If you have an emergency, contact the Trumansburg Police at (607) 387-6505.

How can I be reached in case of an emergency?

Get in touch with the Trumansburg Police at (607) 387-6505. We are in constant contact with the local law enforcement agencies during the festival and they will alert us.

What do I do if I get separated from my child?

Lost and found children are taken to the Emergency Medical Services tent (if you're walking in the front gate, turn left, and you'll find it there). We provide younger children with a paper arm band and ask parents to write their cell phone number on this band, so if we find your little one, we can easily get in touch with you. It's also a good idea to show your kids where the Emergency Medical Services tent is located, and perhaps point out the fact that the paramedics and EMTs are wearing a special color shirt as are the security guards, so if they get lost, finding one of those people will be safe and easy.

Is there medical personnel at the festival?

There are ambulances and a full time, professional staff of trained medical personnel at the Emergency Medical Services tent on-site. There is also an Emergency Medical Services tent at the Across the Way area and an ambulance on call to this area. The EMS staff does NOT dispense medication of any kind, so please be sure to bring those items with you. If you have insulin or any other medication that needs refrigeration or storage, bring it to them as soon as you arrive, and they will happily store it for you. They can also provide power for things like nebulizer treatments; again, check in upon arrival and introduce yourself.